Happy New Year to Everyone! The year of 2006 has been an exciting one for sure. We've all made some interesting decisions and now on the freshly new soil of 2007 laid before us, we can reap our crop and take toll of last years fruitful, or fruitless labor.
Carrie and I now find ourselves stranded in the middle of a vast barren expanse, a place as foreign as any we've found outside of New Jersey, a community less hospitable and insular than a leper colony. Its rainy, and I mean rAIny and cold, and here we are without most of our big city amenities we've come to rely on so much in the last year, like good beer, good food, music, art shows, museums, good beer. Not to say that Alaska hasn't been a worthy adventure, it does have its good points; The land is breathtaking and teaming with life, we can hike, kayak, snowshoe out our back door and there is something to be said for a small community, I'm not sure what that is but there must be something. There isn't traffic, or people everywhere, which is nice. And there is one movie theatre, which changes movies seemingly on a whim and profits. We have been able to see glimpses of what you'd expect in a small community, a monthly meeting that's more of a lighthearted talent show without prizes but with free desserts and we've heard of dance classes and a very active artist community, though I'm not sure where these people are. Like rays of sun through the perpetual curtain of gray skies, these things do give us hope.
I think for both of us the hardest part has been being without our friends and family, who we miss everyday. Carrie and I both have been blessed with a ragtag group of companions from all walks of life. They have always been a source of support, love and amusement. Our Christmas travels made it clear to us that even though they are not physically with us, they are still here. Which, given the general type of people we've met up here, is a great relief. On that note we have added a member to our unit. A lovely girl by the name of Harley Rose. So you don't jump to any unnecessary conclusions, she's a brindle pit bull mix, as sweet as can be though with a bit of separation anxiety disorder that causes her to crap on our bed when we leave her alone. But we're working through it. I urge everyone to fight breed specific legislation in your area, there are no bad breeds, only bad owners.
This, of course, I've come to learn in my new role as town dog catcher. Yes, that's right. Carrie is saving local beaches from the bad planning and greedy hands of greasy local logging companies and I'm catching dogs. I actually don't catch them so much as shoo them home, but don't tell my boss. Mainly our job is a mixture of licensing and rabies patrol and population lament. It is an island with thousands of unfixed animals and no where to go. So at least I've got job security. But, it is a strange and often surreal position for me that's sure. I'll keep everyone posted on anything exciting or any new additions to our pet family. We got Harley within my first week of employment there. I'm a soft hearted old man it turns out.
Although Carrie and I may have moved rashly, skipping the usual transitions into domestic bliss, we've come out stronger and are excited about what the next year holds in store for us. Her contract will be up in May and after that we're not sure. We may stay here longer if her job is still fruitful or travel around Alaska, which is huge and from what we heard more hospitable than here. But there are other opportunities in other places we have yet to see. Adventure abounds.
We wish everyone a Happy New Year and we send our love to you and yours.
And please spade and neuter your pets.
Sunday, January 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment