I just want to say thanks to the Dolwick family for a lovely Kenturkey holiday. Carrie and I had a wonderful time. Never in my life have I ate so much, drank so much, gambled so much and laughed so hard. Well, I've probably drank more but the rest I'll let stand.
For those of you that don't know, Carrie and I went back to her home town of Louisville, Kentucky for Thanksgiving. It was a wonderful trip full of much eating, as per the holiday, much drinking, as per Kentucky, and even a bit of gambling - you just have to love those ponies.
I got to play with all of Carrie's nephews, Goose and Alex, and her nieces, Little Mo and Abigail. They are hilarious. Abbey has just about as much energy and enthusiasm as I imagine Carrie did in her youth. Especially after seven chocolate cookies. Little Mojo is the hit of any party, even sleeping. And Alex and Gus have the coolest collection of Hero Clix I've ever seen.
Thanksgiving dinner was an actual buffet with the whole extended family in attendance. Paul, Carrie's father, managed to pawn off some of his and Scott's home brew on everyone and even whipped out a bottle of the XXX hard cider, though I don't think anyone dared to try it. The food was outstanding and I ate enough of it to make me think I was going to have a heart attack. Overcoming the fear, I then Promptly fell asleep (Sshhh) on the couch and had to go lay down for a nap. Oh, tryptophan my old friend you win again. You always do.
The next day was the greatest day ever. First we went to the track. That's Churchill Downs horse track. Carrie's Uncle Brian is a trainer there and got us into the back field where they house all the horses. We got to see over thirty different horses and even feed carrots and mints to a couple. I'll post some pictures when we get our camera charged. We got to watch a couple of races from the backfield and even got to see them get the horses into the starting gates and then spring out to start the race. It was pretty amazing. Carrie and I even won a couple of races!
Then Brian took us out along the track to the stadium where I made some more bets, got to watch another couple of races and had a mint julep, which if you've never had one, they are awesome. I swear that bartender put about half a bottle of bourbon in mine. But I didn't let that stop me from betting! We also got to go down along the rail and watch the horses come across the finish, which would have been more exciting Had I not lost that one.
After all that excitement you'd think most families would call it a day. But not the Dolwicks! Off we went again to The Bonnie Castle Club, where Paul, Scott and Tim are members, for a little Bingo. Paul was the bingo caller and I must say he did a terrible job because I didn't win a thing. After bingo we had a private family dance party where by tradition the women dance in a circle holding hands while the men watch amused from the side. What a night.
Saturday was another fine day for eating and drinking, Paul grilled up some bacon wrapped fillets and again forced me to drink more of his home brew. After dinner everyone gathered around the Christmas tree and we celebrated ChristGiving Day. Tim even made shirts for everyone that said "Feelin' Quirky in Kenturkey - Dolwick ChristGiving Weekend 2007" to commemorate the event. We then exchanged gifts from the Youngest to the oldest and I think I got the most! They must really want me to come back.
All in all, I had a wonderful time in KY and I urge everyone to take some time to visit. Kentucky is a crazy place with no laws. I'm sure you could stay with the Dolwick's. Call me, I'll give you their number.
5 comments:
LOL! I enjoyed that immensely.
It was great seeing you guys.
Which one of you is Boogs?
Very good recap of the weekend! I especially liked the shhhh. Hope you all are healthy and happy back in Seattle.
Kris
You think Thanksgiving was great? You should come for Christmas! It is more of the same without the gambling and with more solemnity as befits the occasion. We probably have one of the greatest families in the whole U.S. maybe the whole world. As the matriarch of the clan, I should know! Shalom,Ciao, etc.
Gabe is boogs.
Carrie
I don't disagree Oh matriarch.
Post a Comment